Chả Bò, one of seven beef courses served in a fancy grilled beef dish called Bò Bảy Món, this patty can be served with a texture of ground beef or a paste. Vietnamese prefer the paste because it blends all the ingredients well and this increases the flavor of the meat and that’s how Chả is usually made. Chả Bò can be served as slices to wrap in lettuce and herbs and dip in the spicy dipping fish sauce or it can be served as a topping for a noodle bowl or rice bowl.
Beef Patty, Chả Bò Recipe:
1 lb 70% lean ground beef
2 tbsp minced lemongrass
1 red Thai chili, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large shallot, minced
2 1/2 tbsp coconut milk
1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp ground pepper or whole peppercorn
Oil for frying
Combine the beef and all ingredients into a bowl and mix it thoroughly. Let it sit for 30 minutes in the fridge to develop the flavor. Then partially freeze it for an hour in the freezer.
Place the partially frozen meat into the processor and pulse it into it form a smooth firm paste about 5 minutes. Scoop it out into a bowl.
Form the meat into 12 equal portion and then flatten each into a 1/4 inch patties.
In a non stick skillet or a wok, heat about 2 tbsp of oil in medium heat until hot then slowly add the patties to the pan. Sear the patties until crisp on the outside, about 1 minute on each side for medium rare.
To eat, wrap the patty slices into lettuce leaf with some fresh herbs and dip with dipping fish sauce. It can also be used as a topping for noodle bowls or steam rice bowls.
People Who Viewed This Also Viewed:
- How to Make Beef Meatballs – Bò Viên
- How to Make Vietnamese Pork Sausage – Chả Lụa
- Grilled Lemongrass Beef Skewers – Thịt Bò Nướng Xả
- How to Make Fish Paste – Chả Cá
- How to Make Marinated Grilled Squid – Mực Nướng
- Beef Rice Soup and Ginger – Cháo Bò
- How to Make Sauteed Chayote with Beef – Su Su Xào
- How to Make Shrimp Paste on Sugarcane – Chạo Tôm
- Sauteed Lemongrass Beef with Rice Noodles and Salad – Bún Bò Xào Sả
- Recipe for Hanoi Grilled Fish with Rice Noodles and Fresh Herbs – Chả Cá Hà Nội
Tags: bo cha, bo cha dum, cha bo, cha bo recipe, cha lua vietnam, vietnamese cha, vietnamese cha gio recipe, vietnamese cha lua, vietnamese food, vietnamese ham, vietnamese recipes, vietnamese sausage