Fish Paste, is made from sweet water fish fillets such as tilapia, catfish, bass, featherback or salt water fish fillets such as cod, mackerel. Once the Fish Paste is made, you can use it to make fish balls, fish quenelles, fish patties, fish cakes. You can add fish paste, either fried or steamed to Vietnamese noodle soup such as “Hu Tieu Do Bien”, “Bun Rieu”, other noodle soup bowls or in hot pots.
If you use salt water fish in the ingredients, replace the tapioca starch with cornstarch in the same amount.
Fish Paste Recipe:
3 lbs catfish fillets
2 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground pepper
3 tbsp cornstarch (or potato starch)
1 tbsp tapioca starch
1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp oil
Rinse the catfish fillets under cold water, drain then use the paper towel to dry the fillets. Cut the fillets into small pieces, around 1/2 inch wide.
In a bowl, combine fish and all ingredients together and mix it well.
Place the fish in a food processor and pulse to make a fine paste, or until the mixture has a firm paste like consistency, about 2 minutes.
Store the paste into 3 plastic containers, each about 1 lb and freeze it until needed.
You can make fish balls by pinching off about 1/2 tsp of the fish paste, form into a ball and drop it into the soup stock.
You can make fish patties by pinching off 2 tbsp of the fish paste, form into a patty and laddle it into hot oil and fry both sides. This can be eaten by itself or simmer into sauteed tomato sauce to make a dish by itself.
More recipes from this fish paste will be posted in the near future.
Please let us know your thoughts by using the comment section below.
People Who Viewed This Also Viewed:
- How to Make Shrimp Paste on Sugarcane – Chạo Tôm
- Recipe for Hanoi Grilled Fish with Rice Noodles and Fresh Herbs – Chả Cá Hà Nội
- Fish Rice Soup with Ginger and Onion – Cháo Cá
- How to Make Har Gow (Há Cảo) – Shrimp Dumplings at Home
- Shrimp Sauteed with Tomato, Fish Sauce, and Black Pepper – Tôm Rim
- How to Make Crispy Fried Shrimp Balls – Tôm Viên Chiên
- How to Make Deep Fried Dover Sole with Ginger Dipping Fish Sauce – Cá Chiên Nước Mắm Gừng
- How to Make Fish Sauce for Vietnamese Salad – Nước Mắm Gỏi
- How to Make Ginger Lime Dipping Fish Sauce – Nước Mắm Gừng
Tags: cha ca, cha ca recipe, fish ball, fish ball recipe, fish balls recipe, fish cake, fish cakes recipe, fish patties, fish patties recipe, fish patty recipe, fish quenelles, fish quenelles recipe, fish recipe, how to make fish balls