Healthy, light and easy to eat, this delightfully robust recipe is easy to make. To make it more flavorful, you can use chicken broth to simmer instead of water. To make it completely a vegetarian dish, replace the fish sauce with soysauce to taste. The amount of sugar added depends the sweetness of the tomatoes, which will vary with the seasons.
To make it easier, you can purchase the pre-fried tofu at the Asian market, or you can use tomato paste instead of fresh ripe tomatoes.
Recipe for Tofu Simmered in Tomato Sauce – Đậu Hủ Sốt Cà Chua:
14 oz firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large shallots, sliced
2 medium ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup chicken stock or water
2 1/2 tsp fish sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Pinch of pepper
2 scallions, thinly sliced
5 cilantro sprigs
Oil for frying
Use a towel paper to soak up the water from tofu cubes. Heat the oil in a frying pan in a medium heat. Once the oil is hot, slowly drop tofu cubes in the oil, do it in batches to make sure you have enough heat to fry the tofu. Fry, turning the tofu over until it is golden and crisp on each side then remove from the pan. Drain it on paper towels while you fry the remaining.
Discard most of the oil from the pan, just leave about 2 tbsp of oil to film the bottom. Return to the heat, and add shallot slices, stir it until fragrant then add tomatoes, sugar, salt, and fish sauce. Stir it up occassionally and saute until tomatoes break down into light sauce.
Add in 3/4 cup of chicken stock or water and bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the tofu to the sauce and simmer uncovered the liquid has been evaporated. Add the scallions, a pinch of pepper, and toss well.
Laddle the tofu to a serving plate and garnish it with cilantro sprigs on the top.
Please let us know your thought by utilizing the comment section below.
People Who Viewed This Also Viewed:
- Spring Rolls with Tofu and Mushrooms – Gỏi Cuốn Chay
- How to Make Sweet and Sour sauce – Nước Sốt Chua Ngọt
- Who Else Wants Tamarind and Pineapple Broth with Catfish Fillet (Canh Chua Cá) for Dinner?
- How to Make Deep Fried Dover Sole with Ginger Dipping Fish Sauce – Cá Chiên Nước Mắm Gừng
- Fish Rice Soup with Ginger and Onion – Cháo Cá
- How to Make Vietnamese Crisp Carrot and Daikon Pickles – Đồ Chua Ngọt
- Lemongrass and Chili Chicken – Gà Xào Xả ớt
- How to Make Bitter Melon Stuffed with Prawn Soup – Canh Khổ Qua/Mướp Đắng Nhồi Tôm
- Discover How Easily You Can Make Tasty Vietnamese Chicken Curry Stew – Cà Ri Gà
- How to make dipping sauce for vegetarians