Five Spice Powder is commonly used in Vietnamese and Chinese kitchen. It increases the flavor of the final dish. In this ingredient, we marinade twice. First with orange juice, then second with the marinade ingredients. It’s the secret of success:
Tenderizing with orange juice. The orange juice has an enzyme that works as a natural tenderizer for the chicken or meat in general and also develops a pleasant citrus flavor.
A second marinade: Garlic, ginger, five spice power, honey, soy sauce and fish sauce from the base for an addional marinade. Sesame oil is also used to keep the chicken moist during grilling.
Recipe for Five Spice Chicken Wings – Cánh Gà Nướng Ngũ Vị Hương
3-4 lbs chicken wings
1/2 cup of orange juice
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey or syrup
2 tsp five spice powder
2 inch fresh ginger, minced
1 big clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tbsp shaoxing (Chinese rice wine)
1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
Rinse the chicken wings, pat it dry and toss the chicken wings, orange juice in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
Remove 1/2 of orange juice from the chicken, marinade the chicken with fish sauce, soy sauce, salt, honey, five spice powder, ginger, garlic, pepper, wine and sesame oil. Toss it well and let the chicken wings stand in the sauce for 1-3 hours to develop the flavors.
Preheat a grill to a medium heat. Remove chicken from the marinade and place on the grill. Brush occassionaly with reserved marinade during the cooking, about 2-3 minutes per side.
The weather is getting warm. Let’s take the gas grill out and start grilling!
People Who Viewed This Also Viewed:
- Big Daddy House’s Szechuan Chicken Lettuce Wrap
- How to Make Marinated Grilled Squid – Mực Nướng
- Chinese Recipe: How to Make Chicken Lomein
- Chicken Tossed with Water Spinach Spirals, Onion and Vietnamese Coriander: Gỏi Gà Xé Phay
- Lemongrass and Chili Chicken – Gà Xào Xả ớt
- Discover How Easily You Can Make Tasty Vietnamese Chicken Curry Stew – Cà Ri Gà
- Savoring Vietnamese Homemade Noodle Soup – Bánh Canh Nam Phổ
- Grilled Lemongrass Beef Skewers – Thịt Bò Nướng Xả
- Poached Chicken with Kaffir Lime Leaves – Gà Luộc Lá Chanh
- How to Make Vietnamese Meat Paste – Chả Quết
Tags: bbq recipes, canh ga nuong, chicken wings recipe, ga nuong, grilled chicken, lemongrass chicken, marinade grilled chicken, thit ga nuong, vietnamese bbq chicken, vietnamese food, vietnamese grilled chicken, vietnamese grilled chicken marinade, vietnamese grilled chicken recipe, vietnamese recipes